Monday, November 10, 2008

Turkey Talk

Until you think about it, this is a routine and undistinguished photo of my dad talking to Nora in Ankara last Sunday morning. It was about 11:15 AM here, about 10:15 PM there.

But what an extraordinary photo!

My dad was born in 1915. He remembers hearing the first radio programs in Holland, when he was in his late teens in the early 1930’s, and he remembers the first time his family had a telephone, the astonishment of being able to talk to someone who wasn’t in the same room, maybe not even in the same community!

Here he is, captured by my digital camera having a perfectly normal, real-time, face-to-face conversation with his grand daughter living in Turkey.

And here am I, posting it to my blog so you can see it.

I doubt he would have foreseen this coming when he was my age, back in 1979, and I certainly have no idea what the world will be like in 2037, when I’m 93, either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justus - Thank you for sending your address. You are such a good writer. I enjoyed all of your pieces.

Eenie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nora Havelaar said...

Thanks for this post! It was amazing how quickly Harree got used to the idea of Skype. Not many people his age can fathom the iea of the internet yet alone use it effectively. By the way, the new gmail video chat is even more impressive than Skype...