Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Letter to my Member of Parliament

John Duncan, MP
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6

Dear Mr. Duncan,

I am more than a little disappointed to read in the newspapers that you are accused of accessing and recording an NDP caucus conference call. In itself, this would be an act unacceptable to most of your constituents, but to then use that recording in an attempt to score cheap political points is dishonourable, to say the least.

Frankly, sir, I expected better of you. Although I am not a political supporter of either you or your party, I have always considered you to be an honest man and a good representative of North Island. Indeed, the candidate I supported, Catherine Bell, said as much when speaking for all of her partisans, after losing to you during the last election.

If the reports are true as printed, you have clearly crossed that line which separates the ethical from the unethical, the honest from the dishonest. And you have done so for political gain. I think I can say without fear of contradiction that your predecessor would never have compromised herself as profoundly.

As a high school teacher, I spent literally years trying to encourage in my students a view of our society and world that was tolerant and ethical. I fear that actions like yours are corrosive to such ideals, and therefore corrosive to our society and system of government. You do our future voters and politicians no favour when you act so cynically so publicly.

Actions such as the one you appear to have perpetrated, sir, diminish us all, not the least your constituents in North Island. You owe us an apology.

Yours very sincerely,

No comments: