Thursday, March 22, 2018

letter to my MP


Rachel Blaney, MP

Dear Rachel,

The Globe recently published a story outlining Jagmeet Singh’s supposed participation in various Sikh terrorist- inspired rallies. It concluded with the following:

"Video has also surfaced of Mr. Singh at a controversial event in Brampton in March, 2011, two months before he was elected to the Ontario legislature. It was held to denounce then-federal Liberal cabinet minister Ujjal Dosanjh, an outspoken opponent of Sikh fanaticism.
The year before, Parliament had unanimously passed a motion condemning death threats against Mr. Dosanjh, also a Sikh. This was not the first time in his life that Mr. Dosanjh was put in danger. In 1985, Sikh extremists badly beat him with a lead pipe.

Like other speakers at the 2011 town hall, Mr. Singh said Mr. Dosanjh had slandered and “attacked the Sikh faith ... attacked the Sikh community” with his criticism of extremism.
Mr. Dosanjh, who only recently found out about the video, said in an interview that he found it horrifying to be attacked for advocating non-violence.
“He clearly targeted me. If he had any sense of balance in his mind, he would have said I am not going to participate in anything that denounces and defeat someone who has been fighting extremism and terrorism within the community,” Mr. Dosanjh said.
But Mr. Singh told The Globe that he stands by his criticism of Mr. Dosanjh, who he contends is anti-Sikh.
“He has made allegations, effectively painting a picture that that all Sikhs are extremist, violent ... and there is no evidence of that,” he said. “It was very hurtful ... and I was concerned by comments made by an elected official that could besmirch the reputation of an entire community.”
Mr. Dosanjh said he doesn’t need to take lessons from Mr. Singh on who is a better Sikh. He said he has always been even- handed in his criticism of Hindu and Sikh violence, especially India’s actions in 1984."


I did not support Mr Singh for leader, but have no problem believing him when he says he has never advocated violence, let alone terrorism.
Likewise, I have no problem with having a devout Sikh as leader of our party, although I do think it is entirely inappropriate for any Canadian political leader to be involved in a partisan way in the politics of a foreign government.

That said, I do object most strongly to his criticism of Mr Dosanjh, who remains an honourable former leader of the BCNDP and former NDP Premier of the province.
I know he subsequently became a federal Liberal Minister of Health and an effective Opposition Liberal MP; I do not see why this should diminish him in my eyes, although I am aware many NDPers will never forgive him.

In Mr Dosanjh I see one of the few politicians of Sikh extraction who has had the courage to confront the radicalism of the Khalistan separatist movement. And he has paid a price, which in my opinion gives his words extra weight.
So here’s the thing, Rachel: I admire you as a politician and MP for our constituency. Consequently, I will continue to support you, and that includes financially.
But I will not support the Federal NDP while Mr Singh is leader. I have lost confidence in that part of the Party and Movement.


I’m quite sure I’m not the only one, so feel free to pass on my feelings and intentions.

--Justus

Reply, handwritten and personal, April 26. Colour me impressed.

No comments: