Sunday, April 5, 2020

And then, there's that.

That was Week 3, I think.
We're still mostly isolated. But our part of Campbell River appears to be mostly normal. Except for a distinct lack of kids in the park, no discernible gatherings in the neighbourhood, and many more walking couples than usual.
On Tuesday San went to do a grocery run to the Superstore, which is pretty much deserted after 6 when she goes.
On Monday I walked with Geoff as usual, except that we can't break the walk up with an exemplary cup of coffee at the Sundance, because it's closed. (Best Americano in CR!) It's a long walk for Geoff if we can't stop halfway, but the conversation is always good.
On Saturday, it started to hail and then it snowed at our house. (Of course I replaced the winter tires on Wednesday.) Fortunately, it didn't last, and other parts of Campbell River weren't affected at all: Robin and Mike, in Willow Point, were quite surprised to see the amount of snow on our car when I met them to walk behind the airport because they hadn't had any at all.
On Friday I was scheduled to walk with Paul, but had to cancel because I had developed a very sore throat overnight. Also, I thought perhaps I'd lost my sense of taste, because I wasn't getting anything from my morning coffee. And I know the symptoms.
So I went for a long one by myself, and felt much better afterwards.
On that walk I met Rodger and Barbara with their dog, Kona. I know them because Eli and I used to meet them quite regularly, and Kona, like Eli, being mostly husky, was one of the very few dogs we met who understood Eli's insistence on proper Husky Etiquette, and consequently didn't pose a threat. Anyway. I asked them how they were, and they said they'd only just recovered from something unusually nasty, which had all the externals of Covid, but couldn't be proven to be because they'd recovered, and consequently hadn't been tested. But it had laid them very low for over two weeks, and when I saw them was their first walk for some considerable time. Although they were walking, they weren't yet traveling at their usual speed. Kona, however, was just fine, and enjoyed browsing the long grass that was growing beside the road while we talked.
Speaking of Covid, my Twitter feed assures me Prime Minister Boris has been admitted to hospital for "tests"; I'm having to suppress my inclination to schadenfreude, and to hope for a speedy recovery... Though that seems unlikely, given Roger and Barb's experience.
Of course by now everyone knows that Sir Keir is the new Labour leader: my kind of Labour leader, although I could wish for a couple dashes more charisma. But my impression after listening to a couple of the speeches he gave was that he is a distinct improvement over his predecessor, both in policy and presentation. The most important principle of electoral politics is, of course, that a dogmatically correct position is no substitute for being agreeable and flexible enough that people will vote for you.
I'm always surprised when politicians like Corbyn and Sanders (and we've had our share in the NDP!) don't apparently get that.
On Thursday San needed to pick up a couple of exam books at Long & McQuade in Courtenay and I needed to get a prescription at Costco. So San picked up her books (phone ahead to let the sole attendant know you're coming, phone when you get there, stand back from the table in front of the door until the attendant opens the door and places the package on the table, retrieve package) and off to Costco. Room in the parking lot, and a few people at the door. Then a line all the way out the other end of the Costco parking lot and back out to the road. After 15 minutes of it not moving I phoned the pharmacy. No, they couldn't mail the prescription. To access that service you need to order through Costco.ca. But she'd noticed that the numbers fell off considerably towards the end of the day. So I left CR at about 5, zoomed through Costco picking up the entire list except popcorn, and was back in CR before 7. If we need to go back, we know what to do.
And that list of events doesn't even include all the SnapChats and Zoom conversations and...Leanne and Jay's Troops, who came over most days, just to talk for a while, us at the top of our steps and they at the bottom... All much appreciated.

No comments: